Monday, 13 August 2012

Vintage In The Wilderness

Now I'm back at home with the mud scrubbed from underneath my toenails and paint and glitter removed from everywhere else, I can tell you about my weekend!

Here's some photos of my weekend at Wilderness which was held in the beautiful ancient parkland of Cornbury, Oxfordshire, I went along as part of Vintage to help with the Bad Art Salon and painting Poortraits (bad portraits)

We arrived on Friday evening....
 The whole place was swarming with people in animal masks, antlers, tails, tutus, flower garlands and wedding dresses. It was great fun - if somewhat pretentious.
We were so lucky - the weather was amazing all weekend - Lisa and I went for a swim in the lake on Saturday morning!
It was freezing and green. we got in my sliding down the bank - hence my toes being covered in mud for the next two days. We absolutely loved it, I 'd love to go again!

Then the Poortrait painting commenced and proved really popular!

We met some lovely people including these two gorgeous ladies - the one on the left is Jessica of Velvet Daisy who seemed pleased with their poortraits!

Apart from working hard(ish) at the Poortrait stand I did get a chance to explore the rest of the festival





We got to hang out with David of GWH Photography - you can find some of his Wilderness portraits here

We ate watermelon and hotdogs whilst watching a cricket match, where one of the guys fielding was just wearing a tutu. I even met up with a friend I hadn't seen for 20 years and I recognised her instantly! And above that Paul adjusting an artwork...

 We had a go at making masks for the evening's masked ball




We explored during the evening  - first watching Rodrigo Y Gabriela
buying candy floss, exploring the deliciously bizarre Insect Circus Museum!








We then headed to the Torch Club and I was in raptures when Ondrej Havelka and his Melody Makers came onstage - here's a quick video of them, they're absolutely amazing - wait for Ondrej to do his stuff!

 The MC...
 Ondrej - what a snappy dresser

We had a great night mucking about with bubbles, drinking warm cider and watching bits of whatever musical acts were on







Here's us mucking around with bubbles
video

On Sunday Mike had to go home early as he was working the next day - boo! We had a lovely afternoon and evening, but Lisa and I came to the unanimous decision that we were knackered and so we decided to avoid the rush and leave early. ROCK N ROLL!!!
However, we had an amazing time, the place was beautiful, though not being interesting in any of the acts (apart from Ondrej) I'm glad I didn't pay! We met some lovely people, there were some bizarre, idiotic and pretentious conversations overheard - my favourite being "are you starting to regretamine the ketamine?"








I also noticed a plethora of Sassy Vamps style hair garlands - some made of real flowers which were really beautiful, some hideously overpriced, others rubbish and others strickingly similar!
I even got to make things... I NEED a badge maker now

Mexican Wrestler tote bag and badges made from 1950s-1980s magazine cut outs

oooh and one for Sarah  - who wanted to know how big her painting was...

30 comments:

Lisa G said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

LOVE ALL OF THIS!! Please can you send me all the photos you took from the weekend (or ut them on a CD for me?) so I can put some didferent ones in my blog?? xxx

Vintage Jane said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Looks like you had a wonderful time for free. Don't think I could keep up with the pace these days! M x

Lucy Nation said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wow, sensory overload!! So many things I love in this post. I want to come to your poortrait stand asap! I love your beautiful dresses. The pinky one matches your hair so well and I love the clash with the leopord coat and the mustard floral is just fab - where did you find it? Also, is that a rainbow bead necklace I spy?? I know what you mean about badgemaking. I want a badgemaker so badly! Great post missus - still loving that hair!!!

Btw, where did Lisa get her bluey-green nail varnish and that Xray specs tee? I need them both!! xxxx

David Geewai Ho said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I look like im recovering from a nervous breakdown, lawd!!!!!

Vix said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You and Lisa (and Mike) whipped the poncey fashionistas' asses with your fantastic festival fashion!! You all looked brilliant and your art was amazing, what a great stand!! You've got me all fired up for a festival but I've just promised Jon that I'll wait till the End Of Road in three weeks 'cos we're borke..but I can't help checking eBay for Green Man tickets!
The badges are ace, I want a gadget too!
You are the queen of festivals, your hair still looks ace!! I like Rodrigo Y Gabriella but they aren't really festival headliners, are they? xxxx

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You look ravishing in all of the photos. I especially love the one of you with the leopard coat. And the bubblegum pink one with the flouncy flirty neckline is spectacular with your hair. Your lake swim look like it would have been a blast - sliding down the bank into the water. And you've even included a tap-dancing interlude. Great post. I'd definitely have visited you in your poortrait studio!

Miss Magpie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Glad to see you had such a great time, your poortraits are ace.

Louise Mc said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That looks like a fabulous weekend, you look like you are having so much fun, and I love your poortraits. xx

OP SHOP MAMA said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Fun-ness! Cool poortraits!

Helga! said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

How frigging FUN!
That lake looks heavenly,and your fabulous frockage all weekend is giving me the horn!Especially the hot pink number!OOO!
YAY for a grand time!!
XXXXXXXX

thorne garnet said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Looks like you had a blast. The pink hair suits you.

CityScape Skybaby said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It looks like you had a brilliant time at the festival, I love your photos. So many brilliant things to look at, your pink hair is really pretty too. I'm imagining it being a bit posey from what you're saying about pretentious people, and then you all running around being naughty and having fun. The BadArt Salon is a great idea, love the poortraits and the masks. We used to have a Badgemaker, I wonder where it went. xx

Bella said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I am so jealous! A beautiful cidery weekend with one of my favourite sounds, Rodrigo y Gabriela. It is also inspired of you to have poortraits. So clever.

pastcaring said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I would definitely have got one of your Poortraits done, you look every inch the artiste at your stall!
What a great event, looks like you had a ball. Frockage and bubbles and madness and swimming and music and masks and friends and badges and cider....
I am exhausted just watching!
The pink hair still rocks, Clare! xxxxxx

Camelia Crinoline said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Looks like you had a fab time. Rodrigo Y Gabriela are great, aren't they? I can see why your Poortraits were popular. I love your leopard print coat.

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Looks like a fun time! I made a badge at the Play Center when I was a kiddie, I thought it was fantastic but after finding it recently, realised how shoddy it was! It was a Frankie Goes To Hollywood one .. hand written to boot.

orchid said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wow!!! Happy for you having such a wonderful time☆☆☆
I love to see peoples' Portrait painting; not much to see thing like that here.
My hubby enjoyed the video, as he plays the saxophone. haha, I don't know well, maybe Ondrej is singing like Bing Crosby, sorry if I was wrong.
I loved the last piocture of you!!!
Sending you lots of love and hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

edie pop said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It was even better than I imagined..I really wanted to be there, but I'm not jealous because you had such a great fun and I'm so happy, plus you were so gorgeous in total pink and that makes my morning!!
The poortraits stall was my favorite part, but also the insect circus and the soap bubbles video!!! Thank you for sharing these fabulous photos, I'm feeling like I share a lot of amazing moments with you!
xxxx

Ivy Black said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Fecking brilliant! Looks like you had a blast. I love the poortratits and yyour badges and the thought of a cricketer in a tutu. And I love the photo of you with a slice of melon.
xxxxx

Pull Your Socks Up! said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh gawwwwwwd how I would LOVE to have been there with you!! I would have changed my "look" every hour to get my Poortrait painted by you, just to mess wit' ya;)). Did you say insect circus??????? Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!!!! Of course you know I have just the cape to be circus mistress:)). How I ADORE eves dropping on pretentious banter - it's one of my favourite past times after people-watching. Fecking floral headbands are everywhere aren't they? Shame coz I just love wearing them. In order to knock the socks off the boring ole Modcloth-style rubbish, I prefer to stack them up waaaaaay up high these days - puts people off/scares them, all of which is good. I absolutely LOVE the last pic of you with your beautiful secret smile and glorious pink flouncy frock - rrraaoooooowwwwwwww!!!! xoxoxoxoxo

Lynn Dylan said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh wow! Looks like a wildly marvelous time! So many different things seem to be going on at once. The photos are fun.

I love your portraits! Or, poortraits, as you say, though they seem pretty awesome to me!

xx
Lynn

Bijou Sugar-Socks said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

OMG! i want a poortrait too!! i love ur poortraits :) you look super dooper vampy in ur booth btw ;) that looks like an awesome festival! loads of fun and i keep laughing at that idiotic convo "regretamine the ketamine" LOLOLOL

Mim said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That looks like awesome fun! Keep some of the glitter, everyone needs a bit of glitter in their life ;)

two squirrels said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh so much fun with friends!!!!You look so happy sweet and I love your leopard jacket, fabulous.
Love v

Misfits Vintage said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

OMG this looks SO MUCH FUN!!! Your leopard jacket is FABULARSEHOLE darling and I love your hair and floral frocks so much. The lake looks lovely - and I love the bubbles and masks and poortraits - AND OMG THERE'S ME! Did it sell? How spectacular! PLEEEASE promise you'll take me here when I come over and invite myself to stay on your couch for three months!!! BIG HUGS darling - you look BEAUTIFUL! Sarah xxx

littleowlski said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Looks like you had a great time, despite the pretentiousness! Emma x

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm on super crappy internet at Holiday Inn but it was worth waiting for this to load! This looks super fun, I want to go next year - I reckon I could help out with Poortraits no problem! And I'm great at being pretentious too! Still loving your hair, it looks doubly brilliant with leopard (as most things do).
xx

Jessica said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

love this post. the photos are great! it was such a fun weekend xo

Marisa Noelle said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I swear you really lead the most fascinating life :) How I would love to come tag along for a day..hehe. Looks like another fabulous weekend. Of course you look incredible as always. How could I not love that leopard coat with the pink floral dress?! Holy swoon! xo Marisa

Clara Turbay said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I like the way you interpret your style through your post.