Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Skiver/Appreciated


Does the word Skiver/Skiving/Skived exist outside of the UK? 
It means someone who's avoiding work or other duties.
I've got til next Tuesday off work! I'm so happy, I think.
Before I get to that the lovely His Girl Friday nominated me for a blogger award!

Woo! That's really lovely of her, if you haven't seen her blog then please do!

Here's what I have to do

RULES:
- Thank the person who nominated you by linking his/her blog.
- Answer the following 4 questions.
- Award the Blogger Appreciation Award to fellow bloggers.
- Let the Bloggers know that you have nominated them.


How long have you been blogging for?

Only since December!


Why did you start blogging?

I always wanted to do a blog
recording my many purchases of junk and secondhand clothes, I accidently discovered the world of vintage blogging through Diary Of A Vintage Girl and didn't look back.


What type of blogs do you like to follow/read?

Ok, well I did look back  - just to delete those bloggers who deign not to talk to me and those of the cliquey persuasion. I follow
anyone who interests and inspires me


What is the one thing you'd like to improve on as a blogger?

Photos! it's been a long winter and even though it's May it's still not warm and dry so I'm STILL waiting to do some outside posts in good light!








I nominate

The Folly Bird 
The Trollop 
 Mi Prosti
Vintage Mother Superior 


Back to my week so far. Did you see yesterday's jumble sale post?
I've been really good, the last two days have been centred around getting up at a reasonable hour, then a dog walk, then a swim, then another dog walk. I've been a bit lazy in between all this exercise, but it's only Tuesday. 

I'm hoping to get some charity shopping in this week, but if not, I erm, found a 1930s (?) fish paste jar in the woods! People used to chuck out quite a lot of old glass and ceramics so you can find some great stuff if you're lucky. I've got a clay bottle of boot polish from about 1875.

The fish paste jar looks like a grenade doesn't it?


The woods is mostly mud at the moment so just trudging around is hard work. Here's some photos of where I've been walking






I can't wait until I can go out and pose amongst the greenery!

17 comments:

pastcaring said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ahhh, the bluebells and a cute doggie! Call Bucks Life, there's a photo opportunity right there!

Congrats on the award, my dear. I appreciate your contributions to the blogosphere very much.
I don't want to be arrogant - but is the Vintage Mother Superior a reference to my good self? Cos it links to La Dama Dorabella!! It could be lots of other Vintage Grandes Dames, so please don't think I'll be miffed if it's someone else, ha!
Skiving is a terribly underrated art, I do it well and I'm sure you do too! And yes, that jar is a little grenade-esque!
Photos in the woods soon please! xxxxxx

pastcaring said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Why thank you, my child, and may God forgive you your Per Una sins. xxxxx

Helga! said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I can't wait either,as I shall live vicariously through you lot and your Summer whilst I'm freezing my tits off down here!
Squee!Thanks for the blog love! Yes,indeed,we use the word skive/skiver/etc...to skive or not to skive-is that the question?!
I love the fish paste grenade,and I just best it was of grenade quality stink!! Or maybe not,I suppose all that had long rotted away!
Now,I still haven't made it to Farcebbok,my excuse ebing that the battery was flat on my laptop when I got home and I couldn't be bothered finding the cord...tonight,I PROMISE!I wanna see my painted LEGS!
XXX

Beach-Combing Magpie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Don't think any of my students know the verb "to skive" but they most certainly should as they've got it down to an art! Here, bunking off or going AWOL is known as "filer à l'anglaise" which is the exact equivalent of "taking French leave" and is but one of a whole load of tit-for-tat expressions used to try to get the better of the other nationality....A "capote anglaise" is the good old "French letter" that men's hairdressers used to ply on their customers as in "Would Sir like something for the weekend?..."
France and England are the very Bestest of enemies and after the election things might be getting even hotter and that's not a reference to the weather - non-stop rain ("Dis donc, on se croirait en Angleterre..." ARGGHH!).

Louise said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That's a fish paste jar? That's fab! I've never seen the like. Xx

La Dama said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Congrats on your award amor!
Thanks for nominating mi prosti self.
A vintage grenade jar? You find vintage treasures all over the place.
We better see you posing by those lovely blu bells.
I am quite enjoying the rainy weather, only get annoyed when my boot sales are cancelled.
Besones

Misfits Vintage said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ooh look at that gorgeous jar!!! The forest looks so lush and green and mossy - I love it! Pose baby pose!!! Sarah xxx

Lucy Nation said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Congratulations on your award m'dear. I think its funny you've 'streamlined' your blog list. I always feel a bit guilty when I stop following a blog but my time is so precious that I only have time enough for the truly inspirational and entertaining people! Sometimes you do just need a clearout and I agree its rude when people don't even attempt to engage with you when you've supported them. Can't wait to see lots of outfit posts against the lush bluebells x

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Why thank you (curtseys) I am very honoured and congratulations to you too xxx
I love the bluebells, we went to a bluebell wood once and it smelt heavenly.

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ugh, yeah some people NEVER ever bother to reply or check your blog even when you've spent time commenting on many of their posts - no time for that! Although if someone's going to follow I usually wait til they say hello before checking them out - otherwise they might just be bookmarking you for some reason. Congrats on your award you skiver! And how on earth did you know that was a 30s fish paste jar??

A Treasured Past said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Congratulations, well deserved. I find that I keep in touch with the same people, who are lovely and I really enjoy their blogs, but others will follow and you never hear a peep from them. I do like your vase too. The bluebell field is beautiful, we have about 5 that flower each year. Hope you enjoy your time off. Tam x

Pretty-quirky said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

lovely pictures :)x

pretty-quirky.blogspot.com

Rachael said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Flowers are gorgeous and the walk looks so relaxing.Rx

http://sandersonsmithstory.blogspot.co.uk/

Vix said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You need to fill that fish paste grenade with some snakebite, skive off work and go frolicking in the woods with the pooches, just as soon as the rain's stopped. I'd be happy to join you.
Hoorah for jumble sale finds, I'm off to one in a bit and I'm quite glad it's peeing it down as it should put most of the usual crowd off, leaving all the more for me. xxx

karensomethingorother said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

love the photos Clare, and thanks for the word lesson: hadn't heard it before!

Pull Your Socks Up! said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Heheeeeee!!! Good on you for deleting bloggers who just don't bother. I remember those jars! These pics are so beautiful, shame it's been SO flippin' cold there, loving the doggy - wish I had my dog, apart from missing my wee foxy friend, she forced me out of the house!!!! xoxoxo

Krista said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm starting to think the weather in England and Portland are the same in Spring, wet gray and soggy! Enjoy your time off! I can't wait for better weather and bare legs!
Xxoo
Krista