Monday, 7 May 2012

Rain Almost Stops Play

It's a bank holiday weekend and the weather has been horrible. But that hasn't stopped me buying things.

Saturday
much needed brolly! £2.99

not so much needed 80s sunglasses £1.99

I'm staying at Mike's this weekend (he lives about 3 miles away and forgot to bring a coat, so whilst in town I picked up this blue dotty sweatshirt £2.50... oh and this bridesmaid's hairpiece! £5

fake but pretty pearl and silver necklace £3.99

Sunday
We took a stroll to the Church Tea Rooms, below the National Trust house Hughenden Manor, mentioned in my last post. The church tea rooms are only open on Sundays and Bank Holidays
 This is the inside but we normally sit outside when it's not miserable... here's a photo from last year!!
 There's a fantastic 18th Century grandfather clock with a rather morbid rhyme on the face
 I am Death & though 
my Hammer is but small
When I come I can Destroy
the Stoutest Heart of all

cheery! 
 I want to copy this moon painting and use it in my art

On the way back we passed the cows guarding cow island (it's more of a peninsular)

I also updated my postcard blog with what I bought last week
Take a look!
Postcard with rare diagonal stamped which is code for "do you love me?"

Monday
Today was the St Augustine's May Fayre, it's a Catholic church so there's often a few crucifixes, statuettes of Jesus and other ephemera. I got a great picture of John Paul II there once and it now hangs in my toilet. 

The weather today was dreadful, it barely stopped raining. Again it didn't stop me buying things
We queued for cheap burgers

I bought

 
  A small cabinet - £1! Looks 30s-50s

Hey Dora! I saw loads of those plastic baskets like you bought, I should've got them, but I have no space, I did pick up this magazine rack - £1.50

 Another horses head!! £1

Tartan Glasses Case £1

Papier Mache sewing box £1.50 - looks 1950s perhaps earlier

Quite old madonna and child print £1

 What did you just say? Modelling the Primark shawl £1
Look at the scary face on the back!

Moorcraft Rabbit with scary message £1

60s or 70s?! Sunglasses £1 - first thing I spotted

There were quite a few ladybird books but they weren't fantastic condition and I'm running out of space. Cinderella was a particular childhood fave as was The Enormous Turnip. I know Little Owl ski and Vintage Jane would love these
 I always like a bit of H E Bates too!

There was lots of cheap cakes. Mike's in a cake coma now watching boobs on "Carry On Girls"

I'm in a 70s mood music-wise
Steely Dan are a big love of mine and sleazy nightime city fly past

22 comments:

edie pop said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love all your finds!!
Especially the books and the horse head brooch!
I like the "scary" shawl's color with the coral shirt and the yellow skirt, awesome combination!
Plus I need a clock with a morbid rhyme too!!
xxx

Jan said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I enjoyed this entry ,lots to entertain me on a grey wet day ,thankyou ..love Jan xx

LUCEWOMAN said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Steely Dan - sountrack to my childhood!
I like the morbid rhyme, and the diagonal stamp - is it true what that means?
Love the 80's vibe with the spotty sweater, and sunglasses (which will be redundant in May). Horse head and 'cute' ornaments though...shudder inducing for me. I had a very bad date which started in a house festooned with such trinkets.

Gayle said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love the "morbid" clock.............
Looks like you had fun even in the rain.

Vix said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That clock is brilliant and I loved the fact about the diagonal stamp, you are a mine of information, Miss S!
Those sunglasses are fab, the bridesmaid's headdress looks lovely on you, the shawl is fab (so's your hair) adn I'm dying to see what you do with the cupboard, it's so cute! xxx

Miss Simmonds Says said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

who on earth were you dating? Did they also have creepy pictures of harlequins in greys and pinks... so 80s

I love Steely Dan, we used to listen to them in my Dad's car and John Farnham in my mum's!

Liz said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great post! Love the little cabinet and religious picture - you certainly got some bargains!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Lucy Nation said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love the morbid rhyme. I can't get enough of old skeletons and gothic verse! Love the magazine rack and the scary face shawl is a fabulous colour. Hope you enjoy cake and Carry On Girls. Sounds like a perfect night in to me x

Vintage Coconut said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

* That magazine rack is so cool.
* I like the horse head.
* I picked up a glasses case on the weekend too, mine is floral
* The face on the shawl is creepy! lol

Beach-Combing Magpie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I used to have the same Ladybird Cinderella book! I always spent ages trying to work out which of her dresses I liked the most - the pink, the blue or the gold and silver one. And then trying to work out how come the prince got to wear those weird red-heeled shoes which were far flashier than anyone else's footwear, Cinderella's included!

pastcaring said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

LOVE Steely Dan.
I'm most impressed with your finds, especially that little cupboard for a quid - bargain! Also loving the magazine rack and box and postcard and sunglasses... it's all good stuff!
That is a weird face on the back of your shawl! Love your red top - why is Mike watching Carry on Girls when he has boobalicious you right in front of him? The man's gone crazy with too much cake! xxxx

Frocktasia said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Never mind a slice of toast featuring Jesus Christ or a George Washington shaped Chicken McNugget you've got a mysterious alien head on your shawl, should sell for mega mullah on eBay ;)

Trashsparkle said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

wow - excellent finds - loving the religious picture...i bought a Cinderella statuey thing from ebay (had one as a kid with a timex watch; it vanished years ago, and I just had to have one again!) The tea rooms building is gorgeous, as are those cows.... I once bought a flat mostly on the basis that the estate agent played Steely Dan in the car on the way to view it... xx

Helga! said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Not sure how I missed the last post...o,no,I know how.I didn't open my computer much at all over the weekend!SLACKER!
Love the leopard Clarks clippers,firstly.I gasped a little when I saw how hairy they are!Fabnulous!I like it hairy.My leopard,that is.
G swims regular like.I like to swim,but hate people thrashing about and spoiling my hair.I only do bosom stroke.
Now,bugger about the rain,we are apparently about to get 3 solid days of it,but then the weather peeps don't get it right all the time!It's supposed to get to 19 today,but it certainly isn't even close!
Pretty brolly.I have a non hairy leopard one somewhere.
I love the Madonna and child,and I expect Sarah is lusting for it!!! The tartan glasses case and the sweet little cabinet rock my world!
I'm in a choclate coma.My boss had a box of choccies,and as they were there,I kept raiding them.Now i feel a little pukey.Ugh!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Misfits Vintage said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ooh love the Madonna and child - Helga knows me so well! Also love the gorgeous magazine rack and the lovely cabinet but my favourite is THE CREEPY HORSE'S HEAD!! Sarah xxx

Reva said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You are a thrifter after mu own heart@ I collect sunglasses:)
hugs from Reva

Reva said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh YEah and a New follower!

Bijou Sugar-Socks said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

lol on your creepy Moorcraft :D the angular sunglasses you saw first are rad! :)

Krista said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I swear you guys have the best thrifting EVER!!!!! I loved the saying on that clock and your minty green shawl looks sweet on you scary face on back and all :) I could eat all those cakes and then some!

his_girl_friday said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You always have the best finds! I especially love that delicate necklace.

La Dama said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Amor,
I love your creepy finds!
First of all i like the pokia long umbrella.
Sunglasses tartan case, pearl necklace and your aliben green shawl.
Another scary horse head, love it.
Send me some of that cakes.
I love watching Carry on anything.
Yeah whats he doing watching biatchs boobs, when he has you?
Oh and I adorar the wicker basket magazine rack.
You should of bought the wicker baskets to keep your cakes and candies in.
Besotes

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh you got Cinderella! How lovely xxx