Monday, 14 May 2012

The Green Green Grass Of Home

Thought I would do a two part blog post for this weekend as I took so many photos! So don't forget to look at the More Tea and Cake after this post!

This weekend we finally had some lovely weather. 
Mike and I decided to go on a long hike to West Wycombe. But first, here's what I was wearing


urgh spare tire!!
 Cardi - charity shop
Dress - ebay
leggings - primark

The woods and countryside in general are preposterously green, everything has sprung to life and in places it was almost eye bending 






 All I did was put a frame on this one! It really looked like that!


We walked to West Wycombe church and mausoleum. It was a long walk downhill then a sharp walk up a very steep hill
 Stopping to have a drink
 The church has a golden ball on top! I have quite a lot of relative buried here so I pop round to say Hello to them. There is also quite a lot of errrr, how can I put this... visible human remains just lying around - luckily it's only tiny bits of bone - grim, blame bunnies and burying people on top of each other. I waved a bit of skull at Mike which offended him, can't think why.
The Mausoleum, below, is for the local Dashwood family. It's been used in a few horror films!
If you think certain places has a particular "energy" then you should visit West Wycombe Hill!!
Looking down onto the house and the village - the big house has been used in a few films and TV shows.


Here's a photo of the village 
My Mum's family have been living in the parish of West Wycombe and it's surrounding villages since the 1520s at least. Crazy.


We stopped for a pint (though we snuck sandwiches into the pub garden as they had stopped doing food)

Mystery Steps to nowhere, no one remembers why they were built!
 Sexy walking boots!


We were out for 3 hours and 40 mins! Great exercise, apart from the sweets we bought...
Once again, this is only the first part, so please go seek out part two and pass comment on that as well 

We did a great walk on Friday evening too, we heard skylarks and saw Lapwings, both endangered in the UK

Feeling so attached to where I live and how often it changes not for the better makes me think of this poem by A E Housman

Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.



and The Lark Ascending by Vaughn Williams
(which I want at my funeral - maudlin aren't I?)

 

14 comments:

Gayle said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That sounds like a perfect day. West Wycombe Church & M sounds like just the kind of place I like to poke around. Thanks for sharing it.
And your leggings are so cute....and your doggies!!

Louise said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wow, what a beautiful day out. I want to go! Looks like a fascinating place and how great being able to trace family back that far. Mine were all immigrants from Ireland and Eastern Europe during the war, so it's an impossible task. Xx

LUCEWOMAN said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Days like that are good for the soul, it's a shame our weather means they're few and far between at times.
I love that photograph of you sitting on the grass - yo look all relaxed,sweet and innocent.
It must be nice to live somewhere pleasant! There are some beautiful mountains here, but the actual towns are a disgrace (unless you go to the upmarket places).
Great poem, I felt a bit sad after reading it though, and listening to your funeral song!
I'd love to visit West Wycombe Hill - I DO think places have an energy.

Very pretty outfit - like a flower in the grass, you are!

Vintage Coconut said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It looks so beautiful there you took some very nice photos.
Your dress is cute as well as your doggies. "I want a second poochie but I am not allowed to have one at this time." Can't wait till I can, they are so much fun.

I would of taken pics of the scattered bone. *ahahaha* Ohhh how morbid I am.

Helga! said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ah,the joy of an nEnglish Spring and a pretty loony posing under a tree!!! BAHAHA! That pose made my morning! Those leggings look pretty damned funky!
Gawd,the English country side is DIVINE,I love it so,as you know! (You're inspiring me to poetry!)When I get there,we are SO doing lots of walkies and drinking in all the sweet pubs!I'm not adverse to a bit of random boen,incidentally!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You are a veritable soft focus nymph of the woods!
x

***Ta-dah! Tuesday tomorrow - link up your amazing makes, fabulous finds and outrageous outfits!***

pastcaring said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

The countryside in South Bucks is pretty, isn't it? You look like a Thomas Hardy wench nestled saucily in the grass (wrong county, I know!) Haven't been to West Wycombe church, it sounds great, might try and visit next time we're down at my sister's.
Love the photos, and I do love that piece of music (though I'm not much on classical music really). Good funeral choice! My list keeps changing, but I think it's good to plan these things in advance! xxxxx

Krista said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You look amazing just lying there in that grass! This post has some beautiful shots of the sky and the greenest grass ever, I can't wait to see England's beauty you really are getting me excited!

Vix said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You look beautiful, I love how you've gone walking in a pretty vintage frock and rocked it up with Aztec leggings and walking boots. Those steps are heavenly and the scenery and architecture is gorgeous. x

Miss Magpie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It's been such a very long time since I have been to West Wycombe, I always ended up in the garden centre rather than the pub.....hmm going wrong somewhere I think.

Bijou Sugar-Socks said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

what a gorgeous day ur having over there :) and the scenery is just so amazing :D u are so lucky to be living in such a picturesque place. i love ur leggings!

Lucy Nation said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm so jealous of where you live. Mystery steps, mausoleums, historical buildings and poetry. What an awesome combination. Off to read part 2...

La Dama said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That's what I love about green England and mystery steps and lovely old buildings and dead remains. especially the photo of you lounging around in grass. your leggings are fantastic!
besotes

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It's always the bunnies! You know they were always involved in some small part, heh.

I often pick up on energies of places and then can be seen fleeing the scene in fright!

Lovely pictures.