Tuesday, 1 May 2012

You know where you are? You're down in the jumble baby

On a horrible wet Saturday, my boyfriend, his brother and his wife and I all ventured to a jumble sale. The initial hyena's-picking-over-a-corpse tactics of the old women horrified them. I dived straight in and they came back in a picked up a few great things too. There wasn't much in the way of vintage clothes - I've been asked by the local record shop to supply them with vintage clothes to sell - and anything that didn't fit me I put in a pile to give to them. 



 Yes it's a lab coat and a muumuu! I'm going to use the lab coat as a painting jacket, but the muumuu had potential to be pretty...



 The skirt is from Liberty - definitely my best find of the day

 Silk hankie - this is quite old, 40s at the latest I think..
 Liberty photo frame
1960s pyrex dish with great graphics.


Mike got these two gems... a sugar shaker in the shape of a hippo and a chinese silk scarf...



We finished at the jumble, went for lunch and ended up at the bookshop again

oops - I raided the postcard section...  they're 5p each!!!


I'll upload these to my postcard blog soon. You should have a peek at it.

I also picked up two beautifully illustrated books and a book on illustrations

 From this book...



 Is that Melanie on the back of that horse?


We then nipped into town and I picked up a top

oops - it's from PER UNA again!!!

Here's some ebay purchases I made recently - seriously need to lay off ebay...




nothing massively excitingly vintage, but I'm pleased, I don't have anything sequiny!

Now as I sign off the weather has taken a turn for the worse again, it was quite lovely today for the first time in ages! 

If you want to know anything about the British summer, you just need to read 

Shall I compare thee to a Summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And Summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And oft' is his gold complexion dimm'd;




20 comments:

Helga! said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

"HYAENA'S PICKING OVER A CORPSE'!!!!
I frigging LOVE that.It actually scares me when I come across it,I get a bit panicky!!!
Good on ya,love,for showing them how it's done!!
And sequins!YEAH! The hanky is sooo sweet!
XXXXXXXXXX

keshling said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That's my favourite kind of Pyrex - you can keep your 'Chelsea' and 'Matchmaker'. I love the fruit and veg dishes. And I've had enough of this weather too.....it can bog off now!!!

K xx

Lucy Nation said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love those illustrations. The Illustration book looks wonderful. I love pyrex too. I'd have snatched that up in a second. I have so many and I don't really use them often enough.

Thanks for the Enid Blyton cover link. I have had that book since I was a kid! Would find you on Facebook but I'm not on it. I know, I know weird huh! x

Vintage Bird Girl said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great finds Miss Simmonds. Love the pyrex bowl & the sweet photo frame. Xx

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Do you do anything but shop? You do better than I do!!!

And I certainly don't look good in all colours, you only SEE me in the colours I look okay in. I look shithouse in neutral colours: grey, kahki, all browns.

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Fantastic finds! What intrigues me most is the back story to the hanky... Who embroidered that? Who is Whilley Boy?! And the hippo sugar-shaker. If you wanted one, you'd never be able to find it, and yet, here it is! Finally, one can NEVER go wrong with sequins.

Pull Your Socks Up! said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Well, I must admit to being a total hyena when it comes to anything jumbly-related:)). I love the picture frame and hanky and oh my the books and postcards are incredible!!!!!! Yay to sequins!!! More, more, more I say!!! xoxoxo

Lisa G said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Lovely sequins!!!!

pastcaring said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hahaha, I need you in my hyena pack, Clare, sort out the old battleaxes! God, you gotta be tough to jumble!
I was just having a quick look at your post before dashing out and was going to comment later, but I am so amused by Melanie's comment, I had to stay! Not Whilley Boy, Melanie - Whitley Bay! Premier beach resort on the North East coast, the town of a million drunken Geordie nights out!
Now - you did good, dear. Look at all your purchases, and some Liberty in there too, well done!
Love the books and the illustrations, the hippo shaker, the pyrex, and of course the silk hankie.
And we all need some sequins in our lives, to brighten the endless rainy gloom. Go glitter up Buckinghamshire, then head up to Whitley Bay (but don't wear many clothes, those north eastern lasses are made of stern stuff and don't do coats!xxxxx

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I WISH I were on the back of that horse!
That book on illustrators is just lovely, my friend does book illustrations in a similar style for faery tales, myths and legends and Jane Austen novels.

Krista said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

SO many beautiful things! Sounds like the jumble sale went well and no fights broke out. The illustration in the books are precious! A girl can never have too many sequins!
XXOO
Krista

Bella Q said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That pyrex dish is a SCORE! I love '60's dishes and that one is perfect in color!

I'm big into muu-muu's. I started a collection about 6 years back, my best finds were 50's Hawaiian print muu-muu in brushed cotton. I sold a few but kept one, a red and white treasure. You've inspired me to dig it out and see about wearing it again. xo. -Bella Q
the Citizen Rosebud

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

My image of Whilley Boy sitting quietly on a stool by the fireplace embroidering this beautiful handkerchief for his beloved has been smashed!! Ha ha!!

karensomethingorother said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

LOVE the silver sequin top. That will look fabulous, so you'll have to take some photos for us.

Also, for some reason the pyrex dish screamed my name.

SACRAMENTO said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Drroling all over your finds, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Colour me jealous!!!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Vintage Coconut said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You did well!
I thought the hankie said Willey Boy too! *ahahahah*
Love that 60s dish.
The Hippo shaker is SO CUTE.

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I used to have that veggie pyrex, I swear. Dunno what happened to it - if you ever find another one give me a shout! The hippo is crazy genius and of course I love The Wonder Book - every young boy needs a sword. Am chortling like crazy at Whilley Boy - the lone nudey needleman!
x

La Dama said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh amor you foubd great stuff!
Moo moo are cool, so tou better model yours for us.
I agree a girl could never have enough pyrex bowls. I snatch up all the prex bowls at our boot sales.

Ahaha willey boy.
I do adore the scarf and loco hiippo.
You always find great books.
Besios

Misfits Vintage said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So many lovely treasures! The silk hanky and the beautiful red scarf and the floral frock and the lovely lovely books - I adore the gorgeous little girl in the gingham frock! Sarah xxx

Bijou Sugar-Socks said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i love ur finds!!!! i am still looking for the elusive pyrex here in Gib :) i love the hippo sugar shaker :)