Monday, 16 April 2012

A Weekend of Decadence

Mainly witnessing other people's decadence. 
This post will feature quite a few images nicked from other sources due to the nature of the places visited (i.e. no cameras) - so big apologies to the owners
On Saturday, Lisa and I went back to Waddesdon Manor which we visited a couple of months ago for Lisa's Birthday, you can see from the outside of the manor that this place does not do minimalism. Which is great.
This time the house was open and before we went in we had some lunch in the cafe that wasn't open before.

THREE layers of icing!! I also had some cream of Leek at Potato soup which was heavenly.
We popped into the shop that also wasn't open before and picked up some sweets

Lisa is wearing a secondhand Italian leather jacket, bought in Rome and a paisley dress 30p from the Jumble


Here's my new coat, inspired by Melanie's Evil Boucle Jacket
It looks pleasingly 60s with 3/4 sleeves.

Here's some photos of inside the house, they're quite scarce and don't show of the full ridiculous decadence of the place


my garden is EXACTLY like this? Weird huh?



They had a fine collection of Reynolds and Gainsboroughs and a Chardin which was currently being displayed
Chardin - Boy Building a House of Cards 

 Gainsborough - Mrs Douglas

There was just so much to see it was exhausting!

But I hadn't had enough art for one weekend! My boyfriend missed out on Waddesdon due to it being £17 to get in and him having some DIY to do. So I decided we had to have a day out together and go to London. There was at least one gallery I'd never visited - The Courtauld
Mike got in free due to being unemployed. I guess there are advantages to it!

Before I talk about the art - I have to mention that I had ANOTHER tights disaster
We ran for the train at Wycombe and I could already feel my BRAND NEW tights falling down! Why?! I don't understand! So lots of surreptitious pulling at them occurred on the train, all the way to the Courtauld.  
I went to the toilets to sort them out properly and ripped a massive hole just below the knee!

I tried to keep a veneer of dignity and wandered round the gallery. 
This painting disturbed me greatly
Christ crowned with thorns
Circa 1475
Follower of Dieric Bouts
Argh!
We saw some less distressing art work in the form of Van Gogh, Rubens, Degas and Mondrian
 Two Dancers On A Stage - Degas

This very famous Manet - A Bar at the Folies-Bergère

Again there was just so much to see, I really recommend it!

We had lunch - I bought tights and a hairbrush - bloody wind was playing havoc with my tresses.
Then we popped over to Chinatown as I wanted some Plum Wine (if anyone knows how long you can keep plum wine open for please let me know!!)
I love Kawaii packaging!
 London in bloom

We then went over to The Wallace Collection which I also highly recommend AND it's free. It certainly competed with Waddesdon for decadence.

Two of my very favourite paintings are there
The Swing - Fragonard

The Laughing Cavalier  - Van Hals

Madame De Pompadour - Boucher
Mike loved the armour, being a boy. It was rather impressive. A rifle with an axe on the other end? That's my weapon of choice!

Wycombe was also in bloom. I loved the way these lilac coloured bluebells were flowering in the garden of a deserted Victorian house. I love these original tiles too.

Deserted houses remind me of this poem by Walter De La Mare
The Old Stone House
Nothing on the grey roof, nothing on the brown,
Only a little greening where the rain drips down;
Nobody at the window, nobody at the door,
Only a little hollow which a foot once wore;
But still I tread on tiptoe, still tiptoe on I go,
Past nettles, porch, and weedy well, for oh, I know
A friendless face is peering, and a still clear eye
Peeps closely through the casement
as my step goes by.
What are your favourite works of art? Send me a link in your comments!

Also if you want to know about history in general I can't recommend this program enough - ok it's for kids but it's better than a lot of adult entertainment. It's back on CBBC and naughty torrents


16 comments:

Lucy Nation said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I was salivating at the picture of the cake and the description of food at the start of this post! Anyhoo, some lovely pics here. I need to get me some of that culture, life's been getting away from me lately. Say hi to Lisa for me x

Lucy Nation said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Btw, like the new header. "Growlers" :)

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

They evidently had money so it begs the question as to why they chose NOT to flaunt their wealth. I'm sure if they had tried they could have made the place a bit more opulent.

Miss Simmonds Says said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

yeah... lazy bastards!! xx

Helga! said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Fab new header!!! Growler alert indeed!
I adore Fragonards "The Swing"! I even have it on a pendant somewhere...must find that!
YAY,you're wearing your fab spotty frock and that coat is divine!LOVING the ribbons in those gorgie shoes,too!!SQUEE!
O,I would so love to go to some of these opulent bloody places!They're another world,they really are!
I'm also a sucker for Kawaii packaging,or any pretty foreigh=n packaging,really!!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Bella said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That Christ painting is disturbing indeed. It makes me wonder who commissioned it and what the remit was. After being made redundant I am unemployed too and was wondering if a person needs proof before having access.

Hope Adela Pasztor said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

YUM! That pie looks so scrumptious! I love all the pretty Rococo artwork. You need to see the movie "Marie Antoinette"! =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

Vintage Sweetheart said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love your new header! For the tights issue I wear a special pair of undies over the top of my tights so they never fall down! Black seamless ones would do the job. I really like that coat!! xxx

two squirrels said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh oh I love the new Header too!!!!
You look very pretty in the floral dress and jacket.
Bluebells are just so lovely and just sing spring is here.
Love v

A Treasured Past said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

My kids love horrible histories, especially the songs. I love the makeover guys, way funny. You look fab in your outfits, and the tights comment made me laugh. If and when I ever wear tights, I always wear an extra pair of undies over the top, stylish I know, but it stops them from falling down :)The cake looks really yummy, I'm off to have some apple pie, bye, Tam x

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your tights debacle struck a chord with me. I had the same problem with a pair from Primark and they were XL too. Bloody hell, how dare they!

Anyway, love your pics and am especially loving the shoes with ribbon - gorgeous.

I can't think what my favourite art is at the mo. I really like a bit of pop art and Albert Marquet's window painting here (sorry it's a link to my very own blog!) http://jumblesandpompoms.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/floral-frenzy.html

Yeah, the Horrible Histories programme and books are great aren't they?

Love the new header btw. xx

zeys said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i loved your blog, you are looking so elegant, i am following you if you follow me too i would be so happy :)

http://zeysfashionroom.blogspot.com/

Krista said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

My favorite tights are made by I love color, I swear they stay up, you poor thing. I am loving these pictures and this is what I imagine when I close my eyes and try and picture England. I hope I can get my husband into a few galleries while in London.
I love the added plaid ribbon to your shoes, great idea love! Some of my favorite comes from Junko Mizuno I even have a few of her works as tattoos:)

pastcaring said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Lovely over-the-top Waddesdon! That cake looks divine!
You look rather scrumptious yourself, both frocks are fab.
Oh those pesky tights - I have all kinds of sizes and brands (mostly from chazzas) and they are so unpredictable regarding fit.
I haven't been to the Courtald, but I remember being taken to the Wallace collection as a kid specifically to see those paintings, as they featured in a book of art we had, and The Swing and Madame de Pompadour were my favourites.
Love the new header - opinions, nonsense and growlers, who could ask for more from any blog?!
LOVE Horrible Histories, the songs are particularly inspired. xxxx

LUCEWOMAN said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Cake! Cake! Cake! I want cake. That's all I can think about after looking at the picture.
Lovely new header - are you challenging us to upset you?

Art, I like most of Paul Klee's work, particularly this:

http://images.art.com/images/products/regular/12522000/12522389.jpg

It reminds me of fuzzy felt, remember that?!

Still love the shoes, the ribbon was a stroke of genius.

Lucy x

La Dama said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Mmm cake.
I love all kinds of depressing art like the Christ with thorns.
Madame pompadour is a favorite of mine.
Looking lovely in both your frocks amor.
I die for Chino packaging.
Besotes