Saturday, 17 March 2012

Home Town Blues

I hate where I live sometimes, OK, nor where I live exactly but my home town of High Wycombe. It is truely awful, especially on a Saturday. Filled with screeching idenitkit teenagers, women with expressions like the whole world just farted in their face pushing unfeasibly large push chairs, people with clipboards, dodgy looking blokes lurking, more assorted children with demon faces and general assorted scum.

You may think this is rather harsh - WELL IT'S NOT - It's a hideous place. It's not just the people,  the shops and restaurants are just as bad. They're all chains, there's barely an independent shop in the entire place, the council have knocked down and built over most original buildings and choices of places to eat are either overpriced chain restaurants, dodgy fried chicken joints, fast food outlets and a couple of greasy spoons. I lived in Devon for a while and that was full of amazing little independent cafes! For a supposedly affulent (compared to other parts of the country) area (albeit with some deprived estates) - it's run down as hell, there are loads of empty shops.

Did you like my Wycombe photos? I'll put some more in later! I wandered round the charity shops, which are usually ok, but found very little - I had to walk away from a purple hand knitted skirt suit - it was too small!!

Here's what I did get - a small but amazing haul

 Look Vix - a Vernon Ward! I'm actually going to paint over these two! With Vix herself and Folly Bird Melanie! The charity shops were full of people today - I just thought "oh fuck off back to Topshop and Primark - damn these fair weather thrifters". When I picked these up, some dodgy looking bloke very obviously leant over to see what they were, despite being half the shop away - I scowlled.

Is it a Courgette? A sex toy?  No, it's a Bakelight Shaker - a shaker of what I don't know. It says B.E.F. Product Made In England, so if you can shed any light then please do! It cost £4.99

 This scary looking dog from an amazing book I found on American Folk Art, my work is influenced by American Folk Art so it was great to find it.
 £1.79

Look at this groovy 1960s Marks & Spencer's knitting bag - I just had to have it! £1.99


oh.. and these, I am obsessed with marshmallows

Here's me in the outfit I want to wear to the Clarks Shoes SS12 Champange and nibbles reception at The Metropolian, a swanky hotel in London. My friend Lisa won this amazingly stylish experience last week... we even get FREE SHOES

Have a great weekend everyone! I hope you can actually comment on this, I know there's been problems
Need a makeover? My friend Paul can help... maybe I should get him to do my make up for the posh do?

17 comments:

Lucy Nation said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Free Clarks shoes - lucky girl! I am so jealous of that pucture with the yellow flowers. I'd have snapped that up in a second. I grew up hating where I lived but I've kind of made peace with it now. Liverpool is a big city - lots of culture and its fair share of independent shopping, hoards of chav scumbags, like anywhere else really

Miss Simmonds Says said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

our problem is the lack of culture and independent shops and places to eat! It's a good picture, it'll be even better when Vix's face is on it! It did have a big biro mark, so not so much of a loss xxx

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm very touched that you want to paint me, and excited to see the end result!

That shaker is beautiful and you look just lovely xxx

My hometown is the same in some respects, it would be lovely if you removed the people as there is some incredible architecture there but it's full of people who ruin the place.

Miss Magpie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

My brother used to work in High Wycombe as I recall he didn't have anything good to say about the place!

his_girl_friday said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That dress: Va-va-voom! Sorry your town sucks, but you still manage to thrift such great things!

Louise said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Coventry is exactly the same, I dream of living somewhere quaint by the sea. Is it a cocktail shaker? X

VintageBirdGirl said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hehe I did have a giggle at your description of High Wycombe! I love that floral frock on you. Fab shape especially on the booboid area, & the bed jacket looks really good with it. Love that bakelight shaker thing-i-mi-jig. Xx

Lisa G said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wycombe makes me sad, it could be so much nicer if there were some independent shops, cafes and restaurants.

Well done on the thrift haul!!

And Paul's make up tutorial makes me laugh so much I could wet myself.

xx

Vix said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yay! I can comment! You are rocking that frock and bed jacket, lady! Free shoes? You lucky pair!
Love the Marks and Spencers knitting bag and that divine Bakelite shaker and the native art doggie. I'm honoured you are going to paint me! I can't wait.
Chazzas are full of nosey sods who follow you round and insist on grabbing what you're holding. It's like they haven't got a clue themselves.
I think all towns are going that way, I seriously think we're heading towards another Dark Ages. xxx

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I loved the description of your beloved town. The photos capture its quaintness ever so well!! Ha! I thought the shaker was a groovy scuba tank - great haul! - because I didn't grasp the scale. Although the holes in the top could prove to be problematic...

Helga! said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

"women with expressions like the whole world just farted in their face"
Bahahaha,that just KILLS me! I know the type well!They're all over the world!
O,sweets,it does sound a bit miserable there........the negativity must be rife.Summer might bring a little cheer,hopefully...!
Now,yopu are totally rocking that sexy frock and pout!Have you been practising?!YEE! Champagne and nibbles?! And free shoes?! OMG!Paul can totally take us there,he's the MAN!
O,love that print on the left,soooo pretty,but it will look waaaay better with Vix all over it!!The sex toy thingy is most interesting.....never seen the like before!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Pretty-quirky said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love that floral dress on you and your thrifty purchases are lovely! really nice blog...newest follower :)

Pretty-quirky.blogspot.com

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hurrah for free shoes - and for your cool finds. No idea about that shaker, but it's pretty groovy.

You should come to Croydon for the cheerful nature of its citizens ;-)

A Treasured Past said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

God Damn it! Just lost my novel of a comment!

I was saying that you crack me up with the description of your town, so I had to google to find more. I found the tourist information site that had a little video, which was pretty naff, but the church was very pretty. It is quite a big place then?

I have to say you look AMAZING!!! in that dress, my fav yet.

I watched all of Paul's clip, what a laugh. I particularly like the eyebrows, haha

Enjoy your week, off to read your latest post, T x

Misfits Vintage said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You look absolutely GORGEOUS in that lovely lovely frock! I adore that knitting bag - and yyou're not really going to paint over that delightful yellow roses?! (And I think everybody should be banned from wearing shorts - only three people in the world look good in them - and one of them is Vix!)

Sarah xxx

La Dama said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your town sounds horrible ,but aren't all towns hateful in their own way?
looks like you have lots of paintings to do. ;)
How adorably cute you look in flower frock,yay!! your wearing the pink bed coat.
love the Bakelite sex toy shaker and knitting bag.
free Clarks shoes! you lucky biatchs!
besos

Scarlett said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Free shoes! Bliss! I did laugh at 'fuck off back to topshop' - i have this thought more times than is good for me during the thifting adventures - i too damn those fair weather thifters :o) Scarlett x