Friday, 9 March 2012

dead dogs, split ends and cream cakes


Mike and I went to London today to meet my friend Paul at the Hayward Gallery to see David Shrigley and Jeremy Deller's exhibition. 

Before that, I was desperate to get my hair cut, so we went along to Hair By Fairy in Covent Garden. It's a great place, a cut and rough dry is only £13. I went for the £28 full works. You don't have to prebook, they don't try and sell you any products AND they're not English, so they're a) some how more stylish b)don't chat crap and run out and get confused if you don't work in marketing and live in a flat with your fiance. I get sick of having to explain my complicated existence to rather dense stylists who aren't interested in the first place. 

Enough bitching! Here's the groovy outside of HBF


I love my new do... here's a photo, bit of a myspace scene girl pose....



We had a quick bite to eat - another hair photo!

We proceeded to The Hayward Gallery 
David Shrigley is one of my favourite artists. I find him hilarious 
You can find more of his work on his website

We were some of the only people laughing. This did mean we found quite a lot of Jeremy Deller funny, although it wasn't all hard hitting and serious. There was a reconstruction of a caff (low end cafe) which served free tea
That's Jeremy at the front table
Here's Paul having a cuppa

After the exhibition we wandered round London, had a snack, then went to Fortnum and Masons - one of the poshest shops around, for my non UK readers take a peek at the place here
I bought 8 marshmallows for £3.90 - but they are the marshmallows of the very gods.

We also went into The Japan Centre - which sells Japanese food, drink and other sundries. I found a Totoro cream cake! At the time of writing this I've resisted eating it, but it won't last much longer...

mmmm 

Here's some photos from Chinatown... look at the cakes!

 I've been playing with the lomography effects on my phone!

Finally here's my outfit - bit of a grumpy face as we forgot to take photos til the end of the day!







Scarf - charity shop
Jacket - Next sale
Top - H&M
Bangles - lovely Vix
Skirt - charity shop
tights - Primark
Shoes - ebay

Jeremy Deller has something in common with Vix, LaDama and I - he loves Morrissey!


13 comments:

Lucy Nation said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Can't beat a bit of Moz. Likin the new do - suits :) x

pastcaring said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ah, Bigmouth... Great song.
Liking the hair, Miss S, very stylish. And to pay that price in Covent Garden is amazing!
Is that your skirt from a previous post? See how great it looks with some colour added?!
You are allowed a bit of a grumpy face at the end of a long day, sounds like a good time was had though. And look, you're smiling at the station!
Have you eaten that cream cake cat yet? Bet you have!
Jumbling in the morning - who knows what might be lurking? Will bear you in mind! xxxxxxxxxxx

two squirrels said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hair styled by fairies!!!! That's why it looks so good!!!!
The photo of you at the station smiling is lovely.
Happy weekend.
Love v

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your hair looks fabulous! As does your outfit xxx

I love that little cafe, I used to love going into those sorts of places, though they're becoming harder to find around these parts .. it's all chains these days.

Miss Simmonds Says said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It's a shame there's not really any independent cafes in Wycombe. Although the seats were attached to the bench so we all had difficulty getting into them, Mike and Paul are over 6ft and I was wearing a tight skirt

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

We have a tea room/coffee shop int the village but in the town we once lived in, there are none left, not like the greasy spoon of course, I think there are a fair few in Portsmouth and you can always find them in seaside towns of course, as you would hope. Not that I ever eat in them mind you, being a vegetarian, but I love a cuppa!

Are you still interested in meeting up when it gets warmer?

Vix said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You look like Julie Christie with your new Breton top and fabulous hair! That salon looks and sounds wonderful and such a bargain. I gave up with them years ago, life's too short of endless lame questions and Jennifer Anniston layers. Your outfit was fabulous with the vintage scarf, bangles and groovy coat.
That exhibition looks fab and anyone who loves Mozza is obviously going to have the right view of life.
That cafe looks like an upmarket version of those in our town! Have a fab weekend. xxx

karensomethingorother said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh, I have a soft spot in my heart for Morrissey too. Ah, long gone days of teenage angst...

Anyhoo, love your haircut. I haven't had my hair cut professionally in so long, I can't even remember what it's like to go into a place that looked even remotely as intriguing as the hair fairy joint.

Vintage Sweetheart said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love your new haircut. That place looks so cool and I love that skirt! x

Lisa G said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I work in Marketing - but I assume you're not bitching about me :) xxx

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

On the subject of hairdressers, I like to get a good cut once a month if I can. I've just had mine cut to a simliar length as yours Clare. As for blow drys well - I have just purchased THE most amazing gadget for your hair that has completely done away with the need for Hairdresser blow drys! Sorry all hairdressers btw. It's the BaByliss Big Hair. It is AM.AZ.ING! Honesty you just section your towel dried hair and let the rotating brush on the dryer do the work. My hair has never looked so good after a home blow dry! It was £39.99 -admittedly a hefty investment- but I save on blow dries and aching arms and my hair looks so smooth and shiny afterwards! Highly recommended (getting off soapbox now :-))

form @mrsmarsa

Natasha De Vil said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love the Japan Centre, I'm always in there stocking up on goodies. Lovely outfit. :)

La Dama said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That haircut place looks so rad.You look great amor.
I used to go to the one in the village but they are getting so expensive especially with my long hair.
You know I'm a MozAngeles whore!
besotes