Thursday, 9 February 2012

Unexpected delights

Hurrah - I'm extremely hyper this evening as on my way home I popped into Oxfam and bought TONNES of stuff. If that wasn't enough... when I got home I had a whole bag of post from my mum (I'm house sitting at the moment and I haven't redirected all my ebay buys). Both dresses I'd bought fit really well, but both need things doing to them so will do a later post with my DIY efforts.

It was obviously a good time to go into my local Oxfam as I picked up all of this lot and all together the haul cost me £10.41!



Glass bead necklace £1.99 - I assume it's vintage. All the beads are irregular sizes and it's strung on string. Anyone any ideas of the date? It's really lovely and quite heavy



Victorian (I assume due to lack of markings and the design) octagonal plate with butterfly stickers £1.99



All the buttons! I picked up all the bags except the whites ones, as I have loads of those. The bags were 99p each - apart from the yellow ones which were 49p for some reason. Let's take a closer look at some of the more interesting ones...

 I love the ones that look like a summer sky! The flowery one's are glass!


I reckon these are pretty old, but have no proof, anyone out there good at button aging?

 I promise this Cliff Richard's face! This book had been in the shops for a couple of weeks so I thought I really should buy it, if it's waited for me! Here's a better photo
Here's a peek inside Top Pop Stars - the 1962 edition. I will definitely be exploring this further... who's the sexy lady? Could be Connie Francis.


Both these Ladybird Books were 49p - I seem to remember the Little Red Hen - they're not in A1 nick but I love Ladybird books so much I try to pick them up wherever they're cheap.


Actually I got these on Tuesday - they were only 49p each.

Here are the two dresses I got from ebay. Also recieved today were tailors chalks for the making of dresses as in this post and brown felt for the making of bunny badges  - see my etsy shop link on the side.

The colour of this dress doesn't photograph well, but it's a cool spring green. I'm going to add a big white lace collar and a fawn iron on transfer

This dress needs the collar re-attaching and a good iron then it's good to go. I'm not sure of the age. It's likely to be 60s as the fabric is the thick heavy style you often get with older clothes. But it could be 80s, which I think when the collar dates from. The dress itself is homemade so no labels.

I had a go at making rolled felt roses. They're dead easy so I may do a tutorial soon.

So that's my haul. I'm so pleased. I also got a letter from the Inland Revenue which was only telling me my tax code - phew!!

Here's some music appropriate to my current climate!

16 comments:

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Goodness you got some lovely bits! You're making me want to go charity shop shopping now.

xx

Miss Simmonds Says said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

oooh and I bought something else amazing I can't post yet as it's going to be a birthday present!

Louise said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Fabulous haul. I love the black dress, I can't wait to see it on. Also, how cool is the leopard print swimsuit the mystery woman in the Cliff Richard book is wearing? Want!! x

Miss Simmonds Says said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

the rules is, it always happens when you don't expect it with charity shops!

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

True, I found a very Barberella type lime green dress and a snazzy blue 1960's bag when I wasn't expecting anything.

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Clare. Amazing haul. I've just scrolled up the page again to drool again over the blue glass buttons - gorgeous. I like both dresses. Are you going to show us what they're like on?

Oooh yes, tutorial purlease - those roses are rather fabulous.

Funnily enough I'm in the middle of doing a post where I moan on about the lack of any charity shop buys. S'not fair..xxxxx

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That is a haul and half, missus. Love those blue glass buttons and both dresses. Are you going to show us what they're like on?

Oh yes, tutorial purlease, those roses are gorgeous.

Funnily enough, I'm in the middle of a post where I moan on about the serious lack of anything decent in the charity shops round my way. S'not fair......xxxxxx

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh Good Grief, I've posted twice! Sorry. Stupid computer's fault. xx

Vintage Sweetheart said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Gorgeous buttons!! That black frock with the spotty collar is devine. I can't wait to see some of your DIY's because I'm too lazy to do my own. xx

Vix said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great finds! I absolutely adore that hexagonal plate and I'm a sucker for vintage annuals and coathangers, too. Can't beat a chazza spree, can you? x

pastcaring said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I've had a good chazzing day today too. Hurray!
Lovely things, Clare. Loving those buttons, the plate and I always like a vintage coathanger. Looking forward to seeing your makeover on the first frock, I can totally picture you rocking the black dress. And those little roses are gorgeous! xxxxx

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Gosh everyone's finding great things at the charity shops - all except me *gnashes teeth*. The beads are very pretty and I always love an annual. Yes please to roses tutorial - very pretty x

his_girl_friday said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great post! I especially love the button earrings!

Miss Simmonds Says said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

They're not earrings... but that's a VERY good idea xxx

La Dama said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great scores!!
I haven't found anything lately at the charity shops around here.
blue flower button are so pretty.
polka dot dress is going to look divine.
cute felt roses.
besos

littleowlski said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Very jealous of your ladybird books! I'm always on the lookout for those; they seem to be particularly good ones to have found. Emma x