Saturday, 25 February 2012

Tis better to give...

Today is my friend Lisa's birthday and she suggested we visit Waddesdon Manor 
which is a National Trust property formally owned - or still owned, not sure by the fabulously wealthy Rothschild family. It's a big bastard house - huge and ridiculously expensive to get into (£17) - so we decided to take things to the next stage and buy National Trust memberships. So now we have to make an effort to visit more stately homes! Luckily there's one a mile from my house.

image borrowed from the indispensable Wikipedia

Huge innit? It was still shut for the winter. Here's Lisa in front of it:


We proceeded directly to the restaurant (as the standard NT tea room was still closed for the winter). I had the rather small but very tasty cheeseboard and jasmine tea served in a metal teapot (insert correct term here)


Next we headed to the gift shop - my favourite place of any attraction of any kind. I picked up this birdy tin, with a concerned looking parrot - a motif from the opulent looking porcelain service upstairs


We then had a wander round the grounds. Here's what we wore:


Miss Goodman wears
Jacket - H&M
Boots - Primark
Scarf - Present from Milan
Bag - Caprisa
Jeggings  - Zara


Miss Simmonds Wears

Hacking Jacket - Ebay
Fake Fur Stole - Totnes Market
Tinny & Susannah Dress - Ebay
Handbag - Charity shop
Necklace - Charity shop
Shoes - Clarks at Bicester Village

We wandered round to the spectacular aviary, where I started cooing over the exotic birds


We then spotted this lady who appeared to be otherwise engaged


errr, what's she up to?


There was children around and everything. Disgusting


More gratutious posing photos


bit cross eyed


attempting a piroutette


bit better

There was some contemporary art being shown around the grounds - we spotted Sarah Lucas' Perceval. A giant china carthorse. These beauties adorned living rooms in the 60s and 70s, possibly placed underneath a J S Lynch print of one of those pub mirrors. Or somewhere near a set of reproduction horse brasses

Talking of contemporary art, all the statues were being protected in white tarpaulin sheets, apart from looking damned creepy, they also looked a lot like Christo had been at work. 


For her birthday, I made Lisa a fascinator, she loved it luckily! What do you think? 


Here's a close up - the base and charries were bought from ebay, apart from the buttons and flowers which were from the Oxfam haul as were the flowers.


I also gave her an old(ish) Chinese/Japanese lacquer music box - no photo - I have one on my camera at home somewhere!

Here's a few more Waddesdon shots (I collect weird signs - we saw one on the way home that said "Cats Eyes Removed)





There were beautiful blue skies today, but I was in the mood for a bit of the Velvet Fog. I hope you've all had a fantastic weekend!

12 comments:

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I could live there...I've always wanted a house with a gift-shop. x

***Faith Hope and Charity Shopping first blogiversary giveaway open now***

Barn House Antiques said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

The fascinator is amazing!!! I love it.

I wish we had amazing houses like that around Australia. We have some, but not really on the scale you guys do!

Lucy Nation said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ha ha, that otherwise engaged lady is something else! Seriously I love visiting National Trust properties. We were bought annual membership as a gift once and it was one of the most thoughtful and fantastic gifts we ever had. This place looks amazing. It also looks really familiar. I'm pretty sure its been used as a location in Miss Marple or something

pastcaring said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Waddesdon is beautiful in that completely over the top way of stately homes. Were any daffodils out yet? I always remember a huge bank of them, though I haven't been for years. One of my sisters used to live in the village.
Now to the important stuff - you both look very smart, suitably attired for the posh setting, and the fascinator looks great!
I hope you managed to refrain from toboganning on the slope... xxx

Miss Magpie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Looks like you had a wonderful day out. I haven't been to Waddesdon for years now, the price to get in is a bit eyewatering!

Vix said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That looks a fab place. That statue is astounding, I want her in my garden.
You too look fantastic, loving Lisa's fascinator, you are a clever bird. x

two squirrels said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh my that is one huge house, so so beautiful. Those walls could tell some stories.
You look like you had a splendid day.
Lovely v

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

1. Building love. I shall add that to my list of marryable buildings (what??)

2. That statue, is well, well .. it's ..

3. You look lovely and the fascinator is fab!

4. My nan had oodles of those shire horses in her living room! I wonder what happened to them.

Miss Simmonds Says said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It's an unusual statue. Indeed.

I always wanted one of those shire horses - you don't see them in charity shops anymore!

I do love buildings in a slightly obsessive way- Trellick Tower is my bit of rough!

Thanks so much, I think I might even make more hats and fascinators! xx

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Off to google Trellick Tower ..

.. wow! It reminds me of places in Portsmouth. My three are an office block in Portsmouth, Battersea Power Station and Tate Modern (be still my beating heart).

La Dama said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

looks like a nice day our for you lovely girls.
I never been Waddesdon ,but I do love big creepy buildings.
that concern bird is trying to get it on with the other bird.
that statue is divinely pervy.
in love with the cherry fascinator ,but knowing me I would clip on bigger flowers.

karensomethingorother said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

ah, my mother in law told me that spring comes to England in February, and there are the flower photos to prove it. How lovely. Loved the fascinator you crafted with the cherries on top!

Also, I laughed out loud over the statue (what IS she doing?), and that was no small feat today, let me tell you, so, thanks for the laugh.