Monday, 27 February 2012

silly questions/amazing postcards

I was tagged by Food and Faff to answer some pointless questions! Which I will do further down this blog.

Firstly, I've been updating my postcard blog on tumblr. I'm a big collector of strange postcards and other emphemera, I usually get sent or given bits for my birthday. I've also included some family photos and cards that might be of interest. Here's a link to it: mydarlinglittlesunbeam.tumblr.com

Here's a few:

 A little study in Black and Fright
Torquay Sept 27th 1946
(my Nana and Grandad)

Medici Wildflowers Series
“your country needs your L.S.D.
help it win the victory”
1st June 1943
(this place looks exactly like the woods behind my house - in June)

Tenby Sands
September 6th 1908
“How does the little Tenby boy,
Employ each shining hour?
By sucking honey all the day,
From Tenby’s finest flower”
Edwardian Kitsch!

There's loads more! Go and have a peek. Some are even for sale!

If you saw my post from Saturday, (it was a corker, if I do say so myself) then you'll have seen the fab fascinator I gave to my friend Lisa. She's just taking the first steps into the world of Blogging herself - there's more gratuitous photos of her wearing my hat and the flower hair comb I gave her for Christmas!

Ok, so back to the questions - There are rules apparently (urgh - rules):

1) You must post 11 random things about yourself;
2) Answer the questions the tagger set for you in their post;
3) Create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer;
4) Go to their blog and tell them you've tagged them;
5) No stuff about 'you're tagged if you're reading this' - legitimately tag people

Here's my Eleven things (this'll take a while, I could barely think of enough for the 7)

1. It's quite difficult to explain my job - When people join a GP surgery, I go through their medical history contained in the notes and put it all onto the surgery database. I have quite a good knowledge of medical terms. That's all I do. Exciting!

2. I never got higher than E for maths GCSE, despite taking it 3 times

3. I haven't left the country for 9 years! I've been so poor! Until last summer I hadn't had any kind of holiday for 3.

4. I have a 2:1 in BA Hons Fine Art , but failed most of my GCSEs and A Levels! (oops)

5. Today my hair is finally long enough for me to wear it in a poni-tail out in public, first time since 2004

6. The first single I ever bought was Parklife in 1994! Though I'd been given a Doris Day cassette and a Pentagle LP a couple of years previously.

7. I didn't own a CD player til I was 18 (in 1999) - everything was on vinyl!

8. Such is my addiction to bric-a-brac and vintage - I have jumble sale anxiety dreams, dreams where I find a secret hoard of stuff and one's where I'm trying to transport a big haul home! 

9. I HATE unscrupulous property developers who build on green spaces, I've seen quite a few (including my old school field) disappear and if I won the lottery one of the first things I definitely would do is buy up land to try and protect it.

10. Talking of nature, I'm a bit of an expert on British wildlife (no Chris Packham  - we're not worthy!) and live next to a very large wood

11. I live half the week at my house and half the week with my boyfriend as financially we can't afford to move out, we both live at home!

Actually that was pretty easy!

Here's my questions from Foof & Faff

1 - What is the best job you've ever had?
I've had some absolute shockers so it difficult to pick one I didn't hate - what I'm doing now is fine, I worked in a pub in town, which gave me a great social life and I met my boyfriend there.
2 - Your favourite item of clothing?
I really don't have one! The leopard print coat is pretty hot though

3 - If you could be anywhere, where would you be? (in life or location)
right now... somewhere warm and sunny!

4 - Something you've always wanted but never got?
Easy - the Sylvanian Families Windmill!

5 - The first movie you saw at the cinema?
I think it might've been Winne The Pooh in some sort of Disney Kiddies Double Bill malarkey

6 - Your top played song on iTunes?
This apparently!!

7 - The most practical/useful thing you own?
boring things like my mobile or my laptop - although the bag within a pouch thing I own is great for stuffing in charity shop finds!
8 - Would you rather be taller or shorter (if you HAD to chose!)?
Taller! Then my BMI would come down!

9 - Your longest standing hobby?
Jumble sale-ing, general thrifting of course!!

10 - If you had an hour to kill what would you do?
At home -  internet or sleep. In town - charity shopping!

11 - The best thing that's happened to you so far this year
Tax rebate!! Now I HAVE to learn to drive!
 
Still awake? Good... Here's who I've tagged to answer my questions below
 
 
I'm so sorry if I've missed you out or you don't want to take part - I won't be offended if you don't!

My questions are:

1. Who is your most bizarre celebrity crush?
2. What is/Would be your karaoke song?
3. If you could invent your own course and teach it, what would it be?
4. Zombie Apocalypse weapon of choice?
5. What period in history would you most like to visit?
6. What's the most unusual food you've eaten
7. Have you met any celebrities?
8. How long have you been thrifting/op shopping/jumble saleing?
9. Which childhood cartoon/tv program scared you the most?
10. What are 3 of your favourite books?
11. What is your favourite film?

phew!

19 comments:

Vintage Sweetheart said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I've been tagged 3 times now so I guess that means I have to do it!

Vintage Sweetheart said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

PS: cool to learn more about you!! :) xx

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Where are the new questions xx

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I need to do this too, I get put off by all the stages though!

***Faith Hope and Charity Shopping first blogiversary giveaway open now***

Lucy Nation said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for the tag. I thought you were about my age, this confirms it!:) Btw the milk duds was a reference to Big Bang Theory and yes it is ruder than you'd think:)

La Dama said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Gracias I been tag twice!better get on moving.
love knowing more about you,I had all the Sylvanian Families figurines but sadly only own one shack.
besos

Vix said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for the tag! I must sit down adn think of something interesting that's printable.
Love that picture of your Gran and Granddad. Property developers make my blood boil, we've been approached to sell our garden off to them, like I want to see some hideous mock Georgian new build every time I open the curtains. x

Louise said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I shall definitely do this later... Coming up with 11 facts will be fun lol. I don't collect all postcards, but being a Coventry girl I collect very old postcards of the actresses who used to play Lady Godiva. X

Scarlett said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great post, loved your facts and damn girl you need to have a holiday ;o) Thanks for the tag, ive had a couple so im going to have to sort out a post, might break the rules though and only answer what people have asked me as the questions are awesome. I love the itune by the way, really enjoyed it :o) Scarlett x

VintageBirdGirl said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks heaps for the tag. I dream about op shopping all the time & sometimes I wake up in a sweat from the nocturnal excitement.....weird!!! I'll get around to answering the questions sometime. Xx

Barn House Antiques said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh I love your tumblr! They are amazing.

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Gosh, Clare, so much here. You look very much like your grandad btw.

Jim collected postcards and we have loads in a box in the loft. I looked through them recently to see if there were any that I could blog about so, no doubt I'll be boring everyone to death about them some time soon.

I have jumble sale anxiety too - the night before one I can barely sleep a wink in anticipation. I also get very hyper, hot and sweaty waiting in the queue to get in. I know, Clare, the words "get a life" springs to mind.

pastcaring said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great postcards, particularly love the photo of your grandparents.
I got a D in my Maths O level (which was quite impressive for me) and I never retook it! Bah, numbers - who needs them? xxxx

Pull Your Socks Up! said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I just want to snatch up that terrified little baby in the first postcard and give it a big mama squeeze!!!!! I have never passed a maths test or exam in my life. There, I said it! xo

his_girl_friday said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for the tag!!! (Three exclamation points. I am really exclaiming over here.)

Helga! said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

O,your Nana was(is?) gorgeous and I certainly see her in you!
Thanx for the tag,those are cool questions and I will answer them...!
You collect the most interesting things!Wouldn't mind seeing what weird signs you have!Will check out your Tumblr for a good nosey at your postcards! My Dad used to have some,no idea what became of them.
Can't get over that amaaaazing building last post! I dig the birdy tin-I have a weakness for pretty tims,but have very few-and the fascinator you made is fabulous!!! XXX

sacramento said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you soooooooooooo much for following my blog, and letting me find yours and all the magic in it.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Meroda said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

The first picture is so cute !

Diane said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi,
I liked your blog and I personally invite you to join http://www.coollectors.com - The World's Free Collectors Zone.
We will also be happy to cooperate with your blog such as adding its link to our site.
All the best,
Diane
info@coollectors.com