Thursday, 2 February 2012

Luck Of The Welsh

I missed the bus by 10 seconds today! There's not much to do in the town/village (one of those that can't make up it's mind) where I work, so I decided to pop into the overpriced charity shop and found this little gem for only 50p
It's a Welsh lady horseshoe brooch. Needless to say with it's help I managed to catch the next bus... also not throwing the wrong bus ticket in the bin and having to unlock the Surgery to get it back helped too.


Here's a few other things I bought this week:


Here's me with a tiny head and big round body. I picked up this all British all Polyester dress for £5, when I got home I realised it was mostly see through and the neck looked awful. I will have to wear a vest top or slip underneath at all times! I fiddled with the neck and as well as opening it up, I added two old buttons and a lace bow. A better look at it shall appear below
I'm also wearing the angora/lambswool cardi in vivid lilac with a violet trim, I missed the bus yesterday and the freezing temperatures caused me to buy an extra layer as in my rush I left mine behind (though there is a handy one in my work drawer).  The little hat was also a waiting for the bus buy... I was after the mittens that went with it (forgot gloves), but when I got outside and put them on I realised they were completely useless and badly knitted!

completely useless for this time of year but I picked up this 80s flowery shirt. Hmm, well it's a little small on the waist, but it fits on the bust which is usually the trouble area. If tucked into a bright skirt, who'll know?
I also bought a houndstooth skirt which WILL NOT appear on the blog because whilst trying to turn it into a pencil skirt and adding a inch or so to the waist I completely ballsed it up and it is now a frankenskirt (someone else coined that phrase recently.. who was it?!)


This is a fab bit of  material was only £2.99 and table cloth sized. It's plastic coated and fuzzy backed (technical term) so I'm be using it for crafting and dining al fresco when it's no longer minus one outside.


This fab book was only £2 from the flea market (3 old people selling junk in a room that smells of cabbage) and is from 1947. It's signed by "The boys from the entertainment commitee" but nothing to indicate which one! There's interviews and loads of photos of famous artists of the time, plus a guide to rare records. I love the modernist cover by Paul Rand

I finally got my Gil Elvgren - The Complete Pin Ups delivered. Amazon used a courier company that arrived 3 times at 7am, so I kept missing them as I rarely arise before 8. Finally they left it behind the gate and I can view it in at my leisure. It's a stunning book, really. I love Taschen and they've excelled themselves with the stunning reproductions, layout and quality. I recommend you get it... it's only £7 on amazon.co.uk. Just make sure you get up early enough!

Here's a track recommended by Jazzways:

ps: I found a lovely blog you should check out... follybird.blogspot.com

19 comments:

Louise said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That book is on my Amazon wishlist. Love your brooch, I had a cornish version somewhere with a cornish pixie on, lol. X

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Twas I! Frankendresses and skirts abound when I'm around!

Meanwhile, those colours together are fab, you look lovely xx

Miss Simmonds Says said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I thought it was you! Thank you!

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

xx

Melanie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Aww bless you, I just saw what you did, I feel all warm insde now *hugs*

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Mmmmmm I can sympathise with alterations that have gone tragically wrong. xx

A Treasured Past said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

hehe you are so funny. It was meant to be that your missed your bus, the brooch is really cool. Lovely dress too.

VintageBirdGirl said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love the brooch & the new poly frock. So cute with the little matching fabric belt. Very cool Jazzways book too! Xx

Yara Simón said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love the floral shirt.

Vintage Sweetheart said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I think it was worth missing the bus for that beautiful brooch! That book looks very cool. x

Vix said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm so mesmerised by your awesome cleavage I didn't notice if the rest of the frock didn't fit. The colour is glorious. x

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love the book and the brooch! Not a bad way to pass the time waiting for the next bus!

Scarlett said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yay! So pleased i found your awesome blog! Im a fellow curvy vintage loving charity shopper :o) The brooch is a fabulous find. Scarlett x

pastcaring said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

The frock is a great colour, and opening up the neck was a good idea. I have a frock with a high neckline which just doesn't suit me - think I'll have a go at altering it. Famous last words...!
Cute little brooch and great books.
Have a lovely weekend. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

his_girl_friday said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Such a cool brooch and what a great price! Brooches are making a comeback!

La Dama said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

great scores! I love that cute brooch.
I'm always showing my breastest. it just wouldn't be me without the sleaze.
that book is amazing,love pin ups.
That's okay everyone thinks I'm still in California! ;)
besios

Vintage Jane said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great finds. Love the brooch! M x

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wow, that brooch is something else - how bizarre. Of course I used to dress like that, back in the day...maybe I'll dig out the pics for St David's Day.

marian_100 said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi there. Love your blog. I stumbled in while researching (fruitlessly) welsh lady brooches. I have one I am listing on Ebay tonight and would love to know more about them. I too am an op shopper and have a lifetime of finds gathered around me. Keep up the good work!