Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Millinery Mastermind Needed

I bought a hat today! But I was attracted to the shape and it was only £5 from the Alexon Sale Shop which was closing down, so I had to have it.

However, I need your help to vintage it up... so please please can you send me your suggestions and tips on design, where to get appropriately vintagey supplies, or cheap supplies, should I glue or sew on embellishments?

It's on an alice band and sits forward on the head, looks like the current embellishment bits could be removed.

So I was thinking.... fruit, flowers, birds? Netting? What do you think?

Quick terrible photo showing position of hat:
At the weekend I went to the Dandy Lion Market in Highgate, it was very sweet and cosy, I'm thinking of having a stall there at a future event. Anyway, here's some millinery ribbon and cerise pink lace I picked up there for £1 each... could be used for the hat

I also got these two lovely handmade bracelets, the button one was £9 and the hand dyed leather one was £5

oooh and I came back with this 1944 Gymkhana Rosette, which I need to find a use for!
Also... I had a go at making something out for fimo, for the first time since the 90s...
 

If you've got any suggestions or tips for my hat venture I will be very grateful!
 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi8r9exHBuU&feature=related

9 comments:

Helga! said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oooo,fun!
I'm just getting into making fascinators myself, but I too am a novice! I'm all for the fruit, myself! So far, I have just sewn some leopard print faux fur over a base and just added some millenery net and a ribbon.....but Louise of The Princess Prudence Diaries has been making quite a few, and I recommend checking her out!Her link is on my side bar...
Love that bit of floral millenary ribbon you picked up!Yummy!X

Miss Simmonds Says said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

oooh I certainly will! We'll have to compare notes on our hat projects. I'v just ordered a brown felt base from ebay and I'm eyeing up some vintage fruit, flowers and birds too. Will try the cheapy shops too xxx

pastcaring said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Well, I can't offer any advice on supplies or design, cos I'm pretty crap at all that! But I think it would look lovely with a veil/net and some fruit and/or flowers. It's a great basic shape, just needs titivating!
Have you got any haberdashery stalls in your local market? They might be cheaper than shops. Ebay too, of course. Show us the finished result! xxxx

Louise said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ah, a hat project, my current obsession. That's a great base to work with, although it looks really different on to off. The best thing to do is to get lots of bits and pieces together and try them without securing them to the hat. Personally, I'd remove the decoration that's on it as I think that's quite modern. I'd attach some netting to it to make a veil and then perhaps some feathers or a large bow? I secure things using a glue gun, which seems to work fine. I definitely think it will help if you just experiment but not fasten.

I buy all of my supplies from eBay.

Miss Simmonds Says said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

got a glue gun, will order some netting. No haberdashers on the market but there's some decent shops around.

titivating is my word du jour!

Vintage Sweetheart said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm no help but I love the shape. I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Misfits Vintage said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I think that hat is actually quite perfect in its simplicity - I would use clip on flowers or brooches or bows to change the look to suit whatever I'm wearing and then wear it EVERY DAY for the rest of my life. Because it is so lovely! Sarah xxx

littleowlski said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

The gymkhana badge is crying out for a blazer to be worn on!

Miss Simmonds Says said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

getting quite into this millinery business now... I also have a lovely hacking jacket for the rosette!