Monday, 23 January 2012

Fantabulosa

Ok so maybe buying my boyfriend Batman Arkham Asylum for the sssbox was a bad idea, I have nothing to do. We're house sitting and I've no energy to start sewing after a long swim with a crooked neck. So I looked at a vintage fashion blog that was asking who my style icons are in return for being entered into a prize draw to win a rather smashing book. I'm not really sure who my style icons are... I certainly do think the people listed are fabulous but they don't, erm, give me tingles. They're too obvious and maybe I'm too much of a weirdo or too (shock horror) snobby to go for someone so obvious. I'm sure the blogger is lovely, but she did mention Cheryl Cole in a positive light and for me, anyone who thinks that dead eyed twiglet is a style icon doesn't deserve the book.

Oh dear, enough of the ranting. I just really don't like Cole or her ilk. I'm such a fussy bitch that it's often easier to list who I'd like to throw to the lions than who I put on a pedestal.

 There's so many "ordinary" ladies - blogging or otherwise - out there who are so much more deserving of the Style Icon title. Actually - ignore the ladies bit, there's some amazing men out there too.

Firstly here's Doris - as Calamity Jane, my favourite film as a child (next to Carry On Up The Jungle). She was a tomboy, she ran up hills and sang, didn't brush her hair (til the end and I still loved her) and looked stunning. I really didn't want much else out of life




I grew up with Carry On Films and my hero in those wasn't Babs but Amanda Barrie. She appeared in Carry On Cabby and Carry On Cleo (a film I faked being ill at school for so I could be sent home and could therefore watch it as I couldn't get them music out of my head!)
So cool, so amazing. Posh and world weary in one film, ditsy and glamorous in the other, with hair and make up I wanted to copy

Are any of you fans of E F Bensons Mapp and Lucia books? Oooh I really hope so. I'm a huge fan of the books and the 1980s TV series starring Geraldine McEwan , Prunella Scales and Nigel Hawthorn. Aspiring and devious social climing queen Lucia (McEwan) is so fabulously elegant and stylish, I just drooled with envy at her Art Deco outfits. Sigh, so cool, so elegant.

It wasn't just her clothes, it was her girly tones, her sideways glances and elfine features. Divine.
Here she is out classing the rest of the town:

Another Mapp and Lucia character I love is the obviously lesbian "Quaint" Irene Coles, the pipe smoking artist - whom I can't find any photos of, but here's a great video introduction, Ireney can be seen about 2 mins 40secs in! 

It's funny really, because it's often not one specific person who is a style icon. I tend to go for ideas and trends more. From an early age I was introduced to camp humour and gay men have been a massive influence on my entire life. The king of er Queens being Kenneth Williams. Any looks that reflect that saucy humour are ones I've gone for. I even wanted to look like this.....

or this...


and definitely:


Back to the girls - Just to finish. Here's one woman rock star snaring machine Pattie Boyd. It's her hair I love more than anything. 

this is the dream hair.. the hair shangri-la I always dreamt of.

 
 Another girl with a similar look I just couldn't stop staring at is Francoise Hardy, I've never seen anyone like her, she's so beautiful. (ok Jess and Gib stop getting excited I haven't switched teams) 

Ok, just a quick mention of my other darlings:
Lumley - always
Annette Hanshaw

Joan Sims

Eartha Kitt


Audrey Fforbes Hamilton


Ok, there is an obvious one... Marilyn in Some Like It Hot, my favourite film



and my nan... in this photo mostly. 

Who are your influences? Tell me all!

Here's some cheeky innuendo or double entendre or both, I'm never sure

10 comments:

Vintage Sweetheart said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I don't really have style icons, I do admire other bloggers style but I like the way I dress because it's how I want to express myself.

A Treasured Past said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hiya, I really don't have any style icons either, but I did love your post. If I was skinny I would probably have a style but as I'm not I don't :)

Wendy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love your line "dead eyed twiglet" it has made me laugh so much!

I guess my style icon is my Mum, back in the swining 60's she was one glamorous and confident lady (she still is) if I could be just a little of what she was I'll be more than happy!
oh and I love carry on Cleo too and Whithnail and I is my all time favourite movie, ever! x

Miss Simmonds Says said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What amazing girlies you are. Withnail is joint fave film with some like it hot and about 5 others!

pastcaring said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I don't really have particular style icons either. I tend to notice particular looks or the "feel" of an outfit/style, rather than the individual. I agree that "real" women in the blogging world are often more inspiring than any celeb whose look is put together by a stylist with a ton of cash and loads of freebies.
I always loved Amanda Barrie in Carry On Cleo too ("Does thou like what thou see'st, Caesar?") and "Some like it hot" is one of my favourite films too.
PS. Love the pic of your nan! xxxx

Helga! said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That pic of your Nan is divine!
Great post,I love your take on the style icon thingy,and your inspirations are different,and rather inspiring to me!
I am insanely inspired by eveyone and everything is some way,it makes my brain buzz.I do have many specific style icons,and they are either pictured on my sidebar,or listed in my about me page.But I always find new ones,or get carried away over the stylings of a movie,or a book character....
I LOVE the Carry On films,saw a lot as a kid,but haven't watched any for a long time....must do!
I'm not familiar with EF Benson's Mapp & Lucia,but have made a note to get familiar!I do love the 20's styles!Coudln't wear them though,too busty!Doris Day?!Love her,Calamity Jane is a fave film of mine too!I was a bit obsessed with her when I was younger.I just read somewhere about a hotel she owns,I want to go!XXX

Miss Simmonds Says said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks so much you two! Helga, I hope you danced round the living room to Doris like I did. xxx

Heather Jean said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

great shots! I looove her hair too. :)

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ooh I dunno, a lot depends on my mood. But Alabama Whorley from True Romance, Rizzo from Grease, Peggy from Mad Men, erm, Lisbeth Salander....

Bad girls on the screen basically!

Miss Simmonds Says said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love those lot. Although I also love Betty Draper, such a bitch, such lovely dresses.